NEW DELHI: The Indian military officers on Thursday held a press conference which came out to be a magnum opus of confusion and skepticism.
Responding to a question that there was some skepticism about whether IAF fighters had hit the intended targets, Air Vice Marshal R G K Kapoor, assistant chief of Air Staff said it was up to the political leadership to decide when and how to release evidence of the Balakot strike’s success.
Adding to the confusion, Kapoor said it was premature to assess the casualties and damage.
On the contrary, Indian media and defence officials had made fake claims that 300 militants belonging to JeM were killed in IAF airstrikes in Balakot district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
In his press conference on Tuesday, Pakistan Army spokesperson Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor had rejected Indian media claims that IAF jets remained in Pakistani airspace for 21 minutes. He dared Indian Air Force to remain in Pakistani airspace for 21 minutes and see what happens.
He said that about four IAF jets remained across LOC for about 5 to 6 minutes and they sped away following timely response by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).
On their way back they dropped the payload they had brought along to presumably hit targets. They could hardly intrude about 4 nautical miles.
Dispelling the impression that IAF aircraft had intruded to about 50 to 60 miles inside the territory, he said the impression might had been created in the minds as the payload had dropped at a distant place. He showed photographs of huge craters caused due to dropping of payload in a jungle in Jaba village.