PESHAWAR: Chief Justice Saqib Nisar on Wednesday directed the removal of checks posts and obstacles from the roads in Peshawar within 48 hours.
Heading a two-judge bench of the Supreme Court, also comprising Justice Mansoor Ali Shah, the CJP passed the order while hearing an application of senior lawyer Khurshid Khan.
“All the obstacles and hurdles either erected by the military or civilian administration shall be removed within 48 hours of time,” the CJP said. He ordered the Intelligence Bureau, the ISI and the civilian administration that only absolutely important check posts should be kept, but not without taking permission from the court.
In his application, advocate Khurshid had submitted that the roads in Peshawar were already in a terrible condition due to the construction of BRT, asking the court to order opening of all the closed roads.
He also stated the Iranian and the US consulates had blocked two roads in University Town while the roads in Cantonment areas had been blocked for the common man on the pretext of security.
The CJP had assured the applicant that all the check posts would be removed and those feeling insecure should construct concrete walls around themselves.
However, the CJP gave exception to the US and Iranian consulate. “It is the duty of our government to provide them security,” he said and added that he had allowed such security protection to the consulates in Lahore as well.
Chief Secretary Azam Khan said that the city was still facing some genuine threats and it would not be in favour of the city to remove all the check posts and obstacles from the city.
CJP forms judicial commission to probe APS attack
Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar on Wednesday ordered a judicial commission to probe the Army Public School (APS) terrorist attack in Peshawar that left more than 150 people, mainly schoolchildren, dead in December 2014.
The commission – announced after a long struggle of the families of APS victims – shall submit its report within two months.
Emotions ran high in the courtroom where mothers of the APS attack victims, holding pictures of their martyred children, were present. Bursting out in loud sobs, they raised from their seats in the packed courtroom to occupy the rostrum.
“I had the only son, who I have lost in that terrible attack,” a mother informed the chief justice. “I had not given him birth to be killed in such a brutal way… why have the security forces failed to defend our children?” she posed a number of questions to Justice Nisar.
The mothers told the chief justice that they not only failed to get justice, but could not even come to know of the murderers of their children despite the lapse of such a long time. They told the chief justice that they would hold him responsible if justice was not done to them.
“My son was shot four times in his tiny chest… how can we be in peace?” said a mother as tears rolled down her face.
The parents asked the chief justice that a judicial commission should be formed to probe the APS attack.
“We want judicial commission to probe attack to know the real killers of our children,” one of the parents mooted the demand.
The CJP, during his previous hearing in Peshawar, had asked the mothers to give him a week’s time during which he would study the whole record of the case and also call record of hearings in the Peshawar High Court (PHC).
He then ordered the formation of the commission to probe the APS tragedy. The commission will be headed by a PHC judge. The PHC chief justice is authorised to constitute such a commission which shall present its report within two months of its formation.
One of the parents, Fazal Khan told the court that they did not expect much of the PHC chief justice as request for such a commission had been pending before him for a long time.
Khan’s objection angered the CJP. “Who are you to raise objection to a judge in my court… get out of the court right now,” Justice Nisar said to Khan who was then escorted from the courtroom by security officials.